Top 5 Best Storytellers in Hip Hop

The art of storytelling is one skill in rap that has always fascinated me. It is easier for someone to string up a couple words together than for them to make those words have a life of their own. I will always respect rappers that tell tales in their raps because it takes a certain level of intelligence, imagination, and dedication to be able to do so. This is why I have put together this list of the top five rappers I consider the best story tellers in Hip Hop.




Please note that the people that made this list are not rappers that have made one or two storytelling songs, or several bland storytelling songs. The rappers who made this list have shown their ability to consistently create captivating story telling songs over and over again. Anyone can try to tell a story with their raps, but who paints that vivid image that makes it seem as if you are watching a movie while listening to them? For example,  read this two stories...'Mat was the son of a drug lord, and his girlfriend was a hoe. They lived the gangster life together, until before...' Compare that to this...'Sweat trickled down his face, as his shaky hands grabbed the wheel/Mat's eyes went back and forth from rare view mirror to the black stainless steel...' 






You see the difference? The first story is a very DRY story, while the second has some flesh...those little details that makes it seem like you are actually watching a movie and not just listening to the a rap song. By the way, I just made those raps up right now. Anyway. enough talk, let's get on with it.










5.  Kendrick Lamar
I know he is young in the game, but with the little time he has been on the scene, he has shown that he is a real student of the game. If you listen to him well, you know he studied some of the greats...Andre 3000, and Eminem. He put everything together, and added his own little thing to the mix. Kendrick is a master story teller. He had some good story telling songs on his independent debut album, Section 80, and he took things to another level with his 'major label debut, Good Kid Mad City.



Hell, the whole album is a story. I mean, the dude so intricately weaved one song (story) into another song (story), bridging them with a skit that was in tune with the songs. His best storytelling came to light in Art of Peer Pressure, and m.A.A.d City.You have to give it to the kid.






4.  Ghostface Killah
When isn't Ghostface telling a story? With almost every song on his albums, he is either telling a long story, or short interconnected stories. He sure has a vivid imagination for a grimy street dude that he is. I have always respected he and Raekwon's collabs, and how they tell their drug dealer tales. Rae is another good story teller, but Ghost is definitely better.







3.  Eminem
What made you fall in love with Eminem? Okay, apart from the fact that he was different and didn't give a fuck. What made most people fall in love with Eminem were his funny stories on The Slim Shady LP. He had countless story telling songs on that album; Guilty Conscience, My Name Is, My Fault...And then a year later, he hit the world with Stan. That song was vivid story telling at its finest.


All through his career, he has always had great storytelling songs on his albums, but the two albums to pick where he does more story telling than his other albums are The Slim Shady LP (1999), and Relapse (2009).







2.  Nas
I didn't know Nas from Illmatic; I wasn't really listening to rap music at the time. The first Nas song I heard was If I Ruled The World. I recognized that he was good with words, but he did't get my attention till one hot afternoon in 1999 when Undying Love came on the radio. My thoughts had been on many issues, but once the song came on, it was like a movie was placed in my mind. I became a fan afterwards.


Nas takes his time with the intricate details while telling stories, and it makes tales come to life. From NY State of Mind, to Undying Love, to Rewind, to Sekou Story, Nas keeps you watching...not listening, but watching.








1.  Slick Rick
Who else deserves to be at the number One spot order than Slick Rick the Ruler. The man's whole discography are stories on wax. Even though the new generation don't really know him, some of the best storytelling rappers of today studied this dude. After I listened to The Great Adventures of Slick Rick (1988), I understood why rappers like Eminem and Nas always give him his due respect. I mean, every time I listen to Children's Story, there is a movie playing in my head. Every song from Slick Rick is a story; that is his area of expertise, and no one can beat him at it. I'd advise any aspiring rapper, or Hip Hop enthusiast to go get all this man's albums...starting with The Great Adventures of Slick Rick (1988).






No comments:

Post a Comment