Who Is The Best Rapper From Slaughterhouse


My friend and I have this conversation all the time, and we never seem to come to a conclusion. In fact, cos we are fans’ of each individual rapper in the group, it gets harder to pick one and say he is best. It’s more like they complement each other. For many years, I never thought another rap group would come along that I would like the way I like The L.O.X, till Joe Budden, Crooked I, Royce Da 5’9 and Joell Ortiz decided to form Slaughterhouse.



Of cos, Joe Budden and Royce Da 5’9 have been around longer than Ortiz and Crooked, but that shouldn't be a criteria to judge who is better right now. So, let me speak on their individual strengths. Joell Ortiz brings humour to the table, which is a needed quality in a rap group like Slaughterhouse in this times of gimmicky rap. Asides from the humour, when he does decide to get serious, he shreds beats...and he has that ability to carry you along with every line. He is very good with the narrative, without loosing a notch of his fine delivery.




Joe Budden always gives you that emotional rap. Budden has, through the years, through all his Mood Muzik series, perfected the art of telling his audience his dark stories; not drug tales, but his life as an effect of excessive drug use...and every day stories of heart break and family stories that anyone can relate to. Royce has the upper hand when it comes to delivery and flow. For someone that can hold his own with Eminem on every song on a 9 track EP, you know he got what it takes to rip any beat to pieces.  Even though he has the ability to spazz out on every track, he knows when to hold back, and give you some deep and personal words. Crooked on the other hand is raw, and he got that multi-syllabic thing going to a “T.”





So, who is the best? I don’t know. As I said earlier, I think they compliment each-other greatly. But, if I had a gun to my head, and had to say who I feel is the best, I would probably say, Royce...no, Joell Ortiz. Lol! You see how hard it is? But those are my favourite two. But, as much as I love every Joell verse, and always anticipate it when any Slaughterhouse song comes on, I know that Royce Da 5’9 and Joe Budden make better solo songs than Joell. I also know that Joe Budden had the best verse from all of them at last year’s B.E.T Cypher. So, what am saying is that each member has his strengths  based on what type of songs they are making, or what mode of rapping they are doing, each member shines differently. But, if I would really really have to say who the best is, I would say Royce Da 5’9...he is more rounded overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment