Silkk The Shocker Says Eminem Could Have Signed to No Limit

For those that don't know, No Limit Records (founded by Master P) was one of the biggest record labels of the 90s. It had rappers you never heard of going platinum and multi platinum. Master P also had a couple of albums that went more than two times platinum, same with his brothers C-Murda and Silkk The Shocker. They are the inspiration behind Brian 'Baby' Williams and Ronald 'Slim' Williams' Cash Money Records. But around the early 2000s, things just went downhill for the label.



In this very recent interview, Silkk The Shocker (former No Limits rapper and brother to the owner of the label, Master P) spoke on how they missed out signing Eminem.






"We got...I think we got his demo. I mean, he pitched it to us. But we just didn't know what to do with it. I mean, you know, he was dope though, we were just like 'white rapper? Hmmm!'" (The Breakfast Club Interview)












I totally understand why they would have been skeptical at the time. Asides from the fact that Eminem's style was very very different from what was on radio at the time (DMX, Ruff Ryders, Jadakiss, Jay Z, Nas, Hardcore Jarule...), he was white. I couldn't have imagined any other person signing Eminem but Dre. If he had signed anywhere else, he wouldn't have gotten the level of respect and attention he got. I remember hearing 'Hi kids, you like violence. Wanna watch me stick nine inch nails into each one of my eye lids?' on the radio back in 99, and I was like 'what the fuck is this!!?' Not WTF in a bad way, but like, this dude is crazy, but I like him. But at the time, it was all east coast braggadocio rap ruling the airways, and Eminem's genius might have been overlooked if he hadn't gotten the stamp of approval from Dr. Dre.



Watch the full interview below.



No comments:

Post a Comment