Wale Speaks on Recent Terrorist Attack in Nigeria

In a new interview with MTV, Wale spoke on the recent terrorist attacks in Nigeria. With his roots in Nigeria, it was only a matter of time before he spoke on this. And me being a Nigerian, with predominantly American readers on my blog, it was only right I blogged about this.







During the MTV interview, he was asked about the recent terrorist in the northern part of Nigeria, which CNN claims had a casualty of over 2,000 people. Below is what he had to say about the incidence.






“I didn’t want to see them, but people kept sending them, people kept posting them. It’s one of those things where we can complain all we want: ‘My feet hurt, my legs hurt, my back hurts, my girl broke up with me’ — you got to look a little deeper into the world. These are minuscule, minor things compared to what’s going on in the world. It’s fucked up and it’s just like, ‘Where are you safe at? Where?'” Wale asks. "Something as pure as religion, which is essentially love, love for mankind and respect and loyalty to your spirit, a loyalty within self, a love within self. It’s so crazy that has been used as a tool to kill, to murder and to have no boundaries." (MTV Interview)


Well, religion has brought about the death of thousands of people since time immemorial...dating back to the time of the Christian Crusades in the middle ages. So, should we scrap religion? Maybe not, but maybe we should all learn to understand each other, and respect each other's religion, and try to coexist. But the hard part with the Boko Haram terrorists (the Terror group that have been responsible for the countless terror attacks in Nigeria over the years) is that they say they don't want any form of western influence/civilization in Nigeria. That is a very hard request, cos the world has really developed so far, and we can't go back to riding camel backs in the desert. But the irony of the whole thing is that the weapons they use, the tanks drive in, the Internet service they use to upload their videos and all that were made by people of the western world. 





A little bit on the story...

My Aunt from Atlanta hit me up on BBM when the story broke on CNN. She sent the gruesome pictures of burnt bodies that was circulating on the Internet, and told me that CNN had put the death toll up to 2,000 people. It shocked me, cos I am the one in Nigeria, and I hadn't heard much on the Baga incidence. Unfortunately, Boko Haram attacks have become a constant thing in the Northern part of Nigeria for like 4 years now, but never had the death toll been up to two thousand or even a thousand in one attack. Our Military reported the toll at 150 dead civilians, and 14 soldiers. I am still wondering where CNN got their figures from. And the picture that was being circulated of a pile of burnt up bodies is actually an old pic from Congo from 4 years ago, when there was a fuel dump explosion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment