Talib Kweli Says Its Too Early For Kendrick Lamar To Put Himself In The Same League With The Greats

In a recent interview, Talib Kweli was asked about the Kendrick Lamar verse on Big Sean's Control song, where he put himself in the same league as Jay Z and Nas, and Talib said it was a little bit too early for Kendrick to do that-




“When I compete, I’m competing against not just who’s hot right now or who’s trendy right now, I’m competing against the whole cannon of music. Like when I think about the greats like Big Daddy Kane and Rakim, they still in my top 10. Kendrick Lamar is creeping up into my top 10. But he only put out one official, official album and a couple of mixtapes. Maybe like Kane said, in 20 years Kendrick will be in my number one. Up in the top five like a Jay Z or Nas has made it. But until then I think it’s premature. As much as I like Kendrick and respect him…I think it’s premature for anyone who knows better to be like, ‘Oh, automatically he’s number one. Yeah, he’s gunning for number one. He’s gunning for the top spot. You better watch your spot. He’s coming for it.’ But there’s a lot to be done.”




Yea, I think so too. But, it seems like the kid is really hungry for that 'top 5 dead or alive' status. I get a little pissed when I hear some bandwagon people saying he is the greatest, but I do recognise he is a super dope rapper. I have been listening to his music since 2010, and I know where he is coming from, and all the work he has put in. Way back on his version of Kanye's Monster song, he said something similar to what is causing all the commotion right now...he said he was the best rapper alive. It's good when artists have total confidence in themselves. I wish him all the best. I know his second album will solidify his greatness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment