Immortal Technique Speaks on Criticism of Iggy Azalea's Rapping Voice

New York rapper, Immortal Technique recently came to Iggy Azalea's rescue concerning all the people who criticize her rapping voice. People say Iggy is a white girl from Australia who speaks with an Australian accent, but tries to sound black while rapping. While discussing the comparison between Iggy Azalea and Nicki Minaj during his recent interview on VLAD TV, Immortal Technique said very few rapper actually rap with their speaking voice. 











I’ve heard people criticize her [Iggy Azalea] because they say she don’t rap like she talks. But who raps like they talk? Very few people…I would say that the people who don’t like Iggy Azalea’s biggest criticisms over her are that she talks regular like an Australian person and then almost sounds like a caricature of a black person when she’s rapping.” (VLAD TV Interview)




Yea, I guess some rappers switch up their voice to that of their rap persona when they are rapping. But people complain about Iggy's case cos the contrast between her actual voice and her rapping voice is much, and cos she is a white girl. Iggy traveled to America from Australia at 16, and has lived in the states for 8 years now...I guess the neighborhoods she lived in, and the rappers she was influenced by structured how her rapping voice sounds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment