Nas Names His Musical Influences

Nas might have influenced a lot of rappers of this generation, but he also has people he looked up to while he was getting into the game...artists who influenced him. He was recently being interviewed about his new documentary (Time Is Illmatic), and he took time to speak on his musical influences.






"I've influenced [a few artists] for sure and I've been influenced by a lot of artists as well... Slick Rick, Ice Cube, LL Cool J, Eric B and Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, A Tribe Called Quest, Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra. [It's a] wide list."  (Interview with Charlie Rose on PBS)









Definitely, Nas is a big Slick Rick fan...he got his story telling skills from Rick The Ruler; I still get mesmerized anytime I listen to The Great Adventures of Slick Rick (1988). Nas also definitely got that rapid flow, and mafioso rap style from Kool G Rap. He got the fly side of him from Big Daddy Kane, and he got his complex rap scheme from Rakim. He definitely studied those before him, and that't why he is so great. I hate to admit it, cos his fans annoy me sometimes, but Kendrick Lamar is similar to Nas in this way. I mean, in that they both, thoroughly studied the ones that came before them, took a lil here and there, and then made their own thing.  


No comments:

Post a Comment