Evidence Says Jay Z Has Surpassed Nas

There has always been, and there will always be an argument on who is a better rapper between Jay Z and Nas. I have always liked that the argument is always like 50/50...like half think Jay is better, and the other half people in Hip Hop feel Nas is better. If they weren't formidable opponents, then there would never have been a beef between them, and it wouldn't have been as interesting as it was. Evidence (member of the hip hop group, Dilated People) was on B Real's Smoke Box show recently, and he got talking about the whole Jay Z and Nas comparison thing. He said he always felt Nas was better at the beginning, but that Jay Z has surpassed Nas right now. 





"To me, Nas is one of the most gifted rappers of all time. From God though. Not from what he made of it. My man Planet Asia is the same way. They just got that shit on the mic. For me, I look at early Jay Z work and I don't see that God-given thing. [B-Real: He had to work on it] And God-damn-did-he. And look what he turned it into…I think Jay Z surpassed Nas at a certain point. It’s debatable, but at least it’s debatable... Maybe Nas is sharper than Jay Z right now. Maybe because Nas is on some b-boy shit. But Jay Z [may be] so powerful. It’s a debate.”






The main reason why I wasn't a Jay Z fan from the beginning was that I thought he was a basic rapper, so I understand what Evidence was saying at the beginning of his statement. And yea, it is also true that Jay Z worked on his craft. Even-though I was on Nas's side 100% during their beef in 2001, I couldn't deny the fact that The Blueprint was a masterpiece. I think that was Jay at his peak. In my opinion, that is his best album ever...and he got to that level by consistently working on his craft, unlike Nas who came in the game with a bang. Right now, in 2014, I enjoy what each of them contribute to Hip Hop, I don't compare them anymore. They the gods of rap right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment