Why Andre 3000 Continues To Shy Away From Hip Hop

Personally, I am not one of the biggest Outkast (rap duo- Andre 3000 & Big Boi) fans, but I do recognise that, through the years they have dropped germs. But, I have to confess that sometimes I wonder if its the same Andre 3000 I listen to that I hear people talk about. This is because people have placed him on a level of a mythical god or something. As I said, I think he is nice on the mic, and no matter how people try to downplay Big Boi's role in the group, I think he compliments Andre's creativity in a great way. I'ma say it again- I feel Andre 3000 has been placed on too high a pedestal.





I'm talking trash? It doesn't seem so. I have always wanted to write about this, but felt I wouldn't be understood. It is great that now, according to words from Goodie Mob's Cee Lo, I am right. Read some words from Cee Lo (during a recent interview on MTV), where he talks about why Andre is shying away from the hip hop scene-





"He just said he had a severe case of stage fright and just kind of been away from the game and didn't know if he could truly live up -- ah, I just feel like I'm talking to much personal stuff. I hope he don't mind. He just said he was bothered by this bar that had been set and maybe he wants to do something different, and he'll always be his worse competition, his worse critic and maybe he don't want to live up to what people think he should do. He's always been exceptional and ahead of his time anyway, so anything he decides to do, next year or the year after that, we'll still be catching with what's on his mind." 







If you recall, on Love Below, Andre sang all through...but because he is super creative, people saw it as just another way for him to express himself. He has always been very crazy with his craft, what if he wanted to do something like that again? Would people of this present day and age still find that amusing? What they want is for him to come out and save Hip Hop...on a rapping tip. Of course he has had nice verses on a lot of guest appearances over the years, but he hasn't dropped an album since Outkast's 'Idle Wild' in 2006, 7 years ago. And that was more like a soundtrack album for the movie with the same name they released that year. In fact, Andre 3000 has never had a solo rap album. His rhyme partner, Big Boi has dropped 2 very dope albums in the last 3 years, and even though the two albums were great, they didn't sell up to a tenth of what Outkast used to sell back in the day.




With the way everyone is so hooked on first week sales of albums, do you feel Andre 3000 would feel comfortable dropping an album after being away for so long?

No comments:

Post a Comment