Eminem's Top 9 Dead or Alive 10 Years Ago

10 years ago, I was in my first year in college, and I was even more of a hiphop enthusiast than I presently am. I remember being super excited to get Eminem's third album, The Eminem Show. Although, till this day, it is my least favourite album from him, there was a track on there that made me have a higher level of respect for Em. On the track, Till I Collapse, he named 9 rappers (himself inclusive), who he considers the top 9 rappers dead or alive...

Check out the lyrics from the song below-



It goes Reggie, Jay-Z, Tupac and Biggie
Andre from OutKast, Jada, Kurupt, Nas and then me
But in this industry I'm the cause of a LOT of envy
So when I'm not put on this list, the shit does NOT offend me
That's why you see me walkin around like nothin's botherin me
Even though half you people got a fuckin problem with me







Let me stretch out the list for better analysis

In no particular order...


:Reggie (Redman)

:Jay-Z

:Tupac

:Biggie

:Andre from OutKast

:Jada (Jadakiss of The L.O.X)

:Kurupt (Kurupt from Dogg Pound)

:Nas

:And then me...meaning him, Eminem










So, I just wanted to revisit this list cos I was surprised that mine and Em's lists were so similar. Before I heard that song, I used to go on and on arguing with friends that I believed Redman was a better rapper than Methodman; So, when I listened to that song, and I heard him put Reggie Noble's (Redman) name on the list, I knew I wasn't alone. Jadakiss had always been a favourite of mine ever since i heard his verse on Puffy's (P.Diddy's) 1997 hit track, All About The Benjamins. Tupac... Tupac made timeless music while he was alive, and he always put his heart in every studio song he made, and that made me an eternal fan. And ofcos, you know N A S are the letters that spell...NAS!!! The best that ever did...but that's just my opinion anyway.









So, this list made me see that Eminem was a real humble dude that sincerely loved the art. I mean, he was the biggest on the scene at the time. His last album before The Eminem Show, Marshall Marthers LP (2000) had sold 1.76 million copies in its very first week...but he still felt it fit to pay respect where respect was due. I kinda really respected him for that. But, right now, I want to analyse the list in 2012.









Biggie and Tupac are immortalized through their music, and would always be considered some of the greats. Reggie (Redman) hasn't really been able to stay relevant in the changing hip hop climate. Kurupt is still nice on the mic, but he never blew up big like that, so he is more or less just chilling now. Eminem is still doing his thing...Andre has been on and off, but he is still relevant. Jadakiss is still highly respected lyrically, with even the teens of today...i think i have to tip my hat to him for that.










But, I am more interested in the ones that are still as highly respected, if not more, than they were back in 2002. Jay-Z and Nas...the Greatest and the Best...Throw Eminem in there, and you have the Holy Trinity of Hip Hop. Two Thumbs Up to them!

4 comments:

  1. redman is easily better than method man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eminem is the best. And i LOVE till i collapse :)
    and that part is my favorite part of that song :)

    ReplyDelete