Soulja Boy Reacts to Low Sales of Last Album (DeAndre Way)

Soulja Boy recently commented on the low sales of his DeAndre Way album, which was dropped last year November. The album sold lower than his 2 previous albums. His first (Souljaboytellem) sold 113k first week, and the second (iSouljaBoyTellem) sold 46k first week- but this particular album sold 13k first week, and i guess it really got to him. He made it huge in 2007 when he had a hit with his single, Crank That (Soulja Boy), which went and sold in excess of a million in ring-tones.
The DeAndre Way
Read what he had to say below-

"Honestly, I shut down for a week [after my album dropped]. I wasn't talking to nobody, I wasn't talking to management, and I wasn't talking to the label," Soulja explained in an interview. "I wasn't picking up nobody's calls. I went like that for a week. I was in a state of confusion. I needed answers. I was doing this concert in Hawaii for my fans and then I was in Hawaii for a week. I wouldn't have been able to go platinum first week anyway, because the label only shipped like 18,000 copies. So I wasn't able to do gold first week or even 100k, none of that. They only put like 8,000 units in Best Buy. It was crazy. I didn't know all of that though. I was just going off of, 'My album's going to be in stores, so I'm going to promote it as much as I can.' I'm not the type of person to just be out like, 'Hey, my label did this and I was in a situation with that.' But I don't want to get caught up in record-label-artist drama or nothing like that. I just want to keep everything cool to make music, that's all." (Complex)

I don't think it has anything to do with the labels, i just guess his time was over. Even at his peak, he was just able to sell 900k copies total of his first album, so it is not like he was huge on album sales. He was huge on ring tone sales, that is where he sold millions, and i guess that is how it would continue to be. You see the downward  regression with the album sales? First 113, then 46, which is like half; and then 13, which is a little less than half of the last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment