Macklemore Says He Would Not Have This Much Success If He Were Black

White rapper, Macklemore is currently enjoying a lot success with his musician partner and producer, Ryan Lewis. The duo released their album, The Heist last year October, and to date, it has sold 998,000. It is just 2,000 copies shy of platinum status, which it will attain next week. For musicians on an independent label, that is a huge achievement. Their mega hit, Thrift Shop has sold 6 million copies to date; Can't Hold Us (over 3 million sold) and Same Love (over a million soldare also very successful singles from the duo. In a recent interview with Rolling Stones magazine, Macklemore revealed that he wouldn't have had this much success if he was black-






If you’re going to be a white dude and do this sh*t, I think you have to take some level of accountability… You have to acknowledge where the art came from, where it is today, how you’re benefiting from it. At the very least, just bringing up those points and acknowledging that, yes, I understand my privilege, I understand how it works for me in society, and how it works for me in 2013 with the success that The Heist has had… We made a great album, but I do think we have benefited from being white and the media grabbing on to something. A song like “Thrift Shop” was safe enough for the kids. It was like, “This is music that my mom likes and that I can like as a teenager,” and even though I’m cussing my ass off in the song, the fact that I’m a white guy, parents feel safe. They let their six-year-olds listen to it. I mean it’s just…it’s different. And would that success have been the same if I would have been a black dude? I think the answer is no.





That's the truth. I can remember Eminem saying something similar on his Eminem Show album, back in 2002. The fact is there are more white people in America; and also, there is the fact that more white people buy Cd's than black people. Black people might like some sort of music, and support it on the blogs, but on the release date, they would sit at their computers bumping the illegal download of the album, and waiting on the information of what the album would sell in its first week. So, the fact is that, if you can get white people to embrace you, then you would surely sell more albums.

No comments:

Post a Comment