My Interview With 'Full-Effex'

Full-Effex is a hot upcoming Nigerian rapper, representing Uniben to the fullest. I caught up with him a couple of days ago, and he gave me this scoop on what to expect from him and his rap crew (The Gadz) in the near future.






Kay- How are you doing today?

Effex- Fine.

Kay- May I ask how you came about the name, full-effex?

Effex- Well, my first name is Efe. A friend actually called me Effex in secondary school. I added the "full" to emphasize a full package. That's me. Full-Effex.

Kay- Cool. So, I know you released a hot mixtape last year; what's new with you currently?

Effex- Well, right now, it is not about dropping songs online. It's about getting the best out of whatever little material you put out.

Kay- Okay. That makes a lot of sense. What can you say about the state of Hip Hop music in Nigeria right now.

Effex- [laughs] If you really want to hear that, I might offend a lot of people.

Kay- Shoot.

Effex- There is really not much real rap in Nigeria. What we have is a lot of people hiding under the category, forcing out "punchlines" and stuff. Its sad, really. And some of those who claim to be "real" don't really get what "real" means. It's not just about how you are better than the next man. It's about making all round quality music...a message.

Kay- Yes. I actually agree with you. You just summed up the Nigerian Hip Hop scene. That's why we actually need guys like you who can balance the art of rap with an entertaining song.

Effex- Thanks.

Kay- I particularly like your song...I can't remember the tittle...you used a J.Cole beat.

Effex- Farewell. That's also my best song on the mixtape. I love the song cos it was the first time anyone heard me and said "deep." I felt like I communicated in that song...passed a message across.

Kay- Yea. And that's what is missing in Nigerian Hip Hop music. I think there is that 'Lil Wayne Fever' right now. Everyone just wants to throw words together, and say they are dropping punchlines. 

Effex- Even abroad, they are letting go of the Lil Wayne madness gradually.

Kay- Yes. That's why you have the J.Cole's and Kendrick Lamar's.

Effex- Exactly!

Kay- When we spoke earlier on the phone, you told me about your rap clique in Uniben. Can you tell me more about that movement?

Effex- In Uniben, I am in a clique called The Gadz (gods). And we have another clique we work with called flight school. Both consist of the best MCs in this region. No joke.

Kay- Cool.

Effex- Together, we are working on putting everyone out there in a concerted effort. And that will start with a cypher we are putting together at present.

Kay- Okay. Just let me know when you are done with that so I can put it up here.

Effex- Will do.

Kay- So, where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

Effex- Hmm! Myself and my movement being the TDE of Naija (Nigeria). Redefining the rap scene in Naija. In 5 years, I want to be able to say I made a change.

Kay- That's great. So, which international rappers do you listen to?

Effex- Nas, Eminem, Ludacris, Game, Slaughterhouse, Kendrick Lamar, Ab-Soul, J.Cole...

Kay- Nice list. Thanks for your time. Don't forget to let me know when you are done with the cypher.

Effex- Sure thing



Download Full-Effex's Truth part 1&2 here- full effex... and also download his- I No Know

No comments:

Post a Comment