'People Didn't Like Rick Ross To Begin With'- Talib Kweli

The issue with the Rick Ross rape lyric has escalated to the point where protesters have hit the streets in their hundreds against the Boss. Twitter, and several blogs is full of Rick Ross bashing. Talib Kweli, a respected rapper in Hip Hop, who also bashed Rick Ross for his lyrics a few days ago, has toned down his accusations a little and said that people didn't like Rick Ross to start with, so the rape lyric issue is just another reason for those people not to like him. 















Read Talib's words below-

"I think when it comes to Rick Ross and Lil Wayne, a lot of so-called Hip Hop fans just don't like them in general. So they're looking for other reasons to not like them. Whereas they'll accept rape lyrics from a Biggie Smalls, or an Eminem or an Odd Future. They look at that and they'll condone that but they won't condone it from rappers whose music they don't like." 






Talib Kweli just took the words out my mouth. This was the point I was trying to make on twitter yesterday, and I had like a total of 11 people unfollow me. The thing with me is that, I am not a Ross fan per se, but I hate double standards. I don't like when people play favouritism ..when they feel it is acceptable for a rapper to say this and that, but when someone they don't like says something similar, they act all righteous.  Hip Hop, since the 90s has always had disrespectful lyrics towards women...from Snoop Dogg, to Jay Z, to Biggie to Dr. Dre. But, because these people are legends, their harsh lyrics are overlooked.







I don't in anyway condone or feel what Ross said was/is cool, but It sure ain't the first, and other rappers have said worse. So, If people want Ross to lose his Reebok deal, and other endorsement, and his record label deal, then lyrics from other rappers should also be scrutinized. 


Below is the lyric that's causing all the commotion...it's from Ross's guest verse on Rocko's "U.O.E.N.O song.


"Put molly all in her champagne, she ain't even know it / I took her home and enjoy that, she ain't even know it."


I don't think that's what Ross would do to get a girl, but he sure was wrong for putting this kind of message out there; A misguided teenage might take this as a cool thing to do. But, as said, he is just the scapegoat, there are people with worse lyrics.


Check out some very vulgar lyrics from some of your favourite rappers below




you're the kind of girl that I a- -ssault and rape and figure why not try not to make your pussy wider- Eminem (Relapse album)

Hope they know my nigga Gutter fuckin kidnap kids (thats right) Fuck 'em in the ass, throw 'em over the bridge (aaah)- Biggie


So I could be in a dark corner, all in the butt at the bar alchoholing her up - Jay Z (The City Is Mine)




I'm comin in the house and I'm gunnin' for your spouse
Tryin' to send the bitch back to her maker
And if you got a daughter older then 15, I'ma rape her
Take her on the living room floor, right there in front of you
Then ask you seriously, whatchu wanna do? (DMX- X Is Coming- Off his It's Dark And Hell Is Hot album)






No comments:

Post a Comment