Lauryn Hill Finally Speaks On Tax Evasion Issues

Lauryn Hill, as a solo artist, and a member of the legendary Fugees (alongside Wyclef and Praz) sold monumental records in the 90s. I can say, for a rap artists, she surpassed what any other female artists before and after her has ever sold in records. Just singling out her first solo album, Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill, which has sold 19 million copies worldwide to date, shows how much this lady has generated in her career. And to now think that she is currently unable to pay a tax debt of $968,000, is questionable.















In a post on her Tumblr page yesterday night, Lauryn spoke on her tax issues and also on her music career-


"It has been reported that I signed a new record deal, and that I did this to pay taxes. Yes, I have recently entered into an agreement with Sony Worldwide Entertainment, to launch a new label, on which my new music will be released. And yes, I am working on new music. I've remained silent, after an extensive healing process. This has been a 10+ year battle, for a long time played out behind closed doors, but now in front of the public eye. This is an old conflict between art and commerce... free minds, and minds that are perhaps overly tethered to structure. This is about inequity, and the resulting disenfranchisement caused by it. I've been fighting for existential and economic freedom, which means the freedom to create and live without someone threatening, controlling, and/or manipulating the art and the artist, by tying the purse strings. It took years for me to get out of the 'parasitic' dynamic of my youth, and into a deal that better reflects my true contribution as an artist, and (purportedly) gives me the control necessary to create a paradigm suitable for my needs. I have been working towards this for a long time, not just because of my current legal situation, but because I am an artist, I love to create, and I need the proper platform to do so." (Ms Lauryn Hill Tumblr)





And now, the part you really need to read- 

"The nature of my new business venture, as well as the dollar amount reported, was inaccurate, only a portion of the overall deal. Keep in mind, my past recordings have sold over 50,000,000 units worldwide, earning the label a tremendous amount of money (a fraction of which actually came to me). Only a completely complicated set of traps, manipulations, and inequitable business arrangements could put someone who has accomplished the things that I have, financially in need of anything. I am one artist who finds value in openly discussing the dynamics within this industry that force artists to compromise or distort themselves and what they do, rather than allowing them to make the music that people need. There are volumes that could (and will) be said."










That's a whole lot of money she made for Columbia Records. Where did all that money go? Where did her share of the money go? She was pretty young (around 20yrs old) when she blew up...straight out of high school, so I guess she was really naive with the business side of things. Lauryn has always been more concerned about the art, so I can understand how she can be in this mess. Right now, she has been given two weeks (until May 6th) to pay up the $968,000 debt or go to jail. I wish her all the best. I'm a big fan of her music, and would love to hear some new music from her.

1 comment:


  1. I don;t see what has changed during your 10 years layoff. Your album has sold more during your absence. Why would the company give you anything? It's your back against the wall. What negotiation powers do you have to demand anything? Don't you still owe Sony Records additional albums. Lauryn you don't need to save face. Just come out sell the houses if necessary (this is your cross) and you are at the crossroad. Who are you going to serve God or money? He brought you out and now you are clawing to get back in! It won't work. The hand of God is upon you. You can sing about the problems, but only He can give you the answer and that not going to sell to well. People wants fantasy, but reality is what they need.
    You are one crying in the wilderness. Repent and be healed. Then you will embark on a new journey. There will be no manipulation, you will have no reputation,you won't be preaching fantasies, but salvation. Lauryn, will thou be made whole??????????????????????????

    ReplyDelete