Kendrick Lamar Speaks On "good kid, m.A.A.d city" Being Compared With Illmatic

Good Kid, M.A.A.D City is Kendrick Lamar's official debut album, and Illmatic (1994) was Nas's debut album. Illmatic has been voted as the best hip hop album ever released many times; I think the comparison with these two albums is a bit too early. Check out what Kendrick thinks below-



















Illmatic? For people to even put my album in the light of that, is an accomplishment. It’s crazy to even be mentioned with it but it’s scary at the same time," he said. "That era - I wanna say the age range now would be 30, 30 to 40 - they can recognize this was the album. Illmatic's the album for the '90s era when I was growing up. The stories he was telling was something I can relate to. From the response, just from the leak...these kids out here, they're all saying the same thing: this is the feel for this era...it's just a weird feeling to be in that same type of light, 'cus it takes a whole lot of responsibility to keep that up in the long run and longevity, and that's something I don't have yet...so Illmatic will always be #1."





I am yet to listen to good kid, mad city, but I know what makes Illmatic so great is cos the verses on there were flawless...and the lines were/are quotable; this has nothing to do with me being a Nas fan, my favourite Nas album is the Untitled (2008) album, but any real hip hop head will tell you that Illmatic is flawless...i mean, there is no line out of place, everything is just right. This is not to take anything away from Kendrick Lamar, I became a fan of his after I heard Section 80. I think, maybe there shouldn't be a comparison...if GKMC is going to be a classic, let it be a classic in its own right, people should stop comparing one album with the other...or one rapper with another...just appreciate the art and the individual skills.


Good Kid, M.A.A.D City dropped yesterday, 22nd of October. Normally, albums drop on Tuesdays, cos a full week for album sales is counted from one Tuesday, to the next; I don't know how this is going to be counted, but will keep you guys posted on the sales of the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment