Fabolous Talks About How He Got His Rap Name

New York veteran rapper, Fabolous's real name is John Jackson, and his nickname before rap was 'J.' But of course, there was already one J...Jay Z, so he definitely couldn't use that as his rap name. During one of his early freestyles for DJ Clue in the 90s, he spelled the world 'Fabulous' wrong, as Fabolous just so he could rhyme. DJ Clue thought Fabolous was actually spelling his rap name, and he started calling Fab Fabolous. The name caught on fast, so Fab just rode with it.

This is what he explained during his recent Self Made Taste Better interview. Below are his words on this...

Image result for fabolous self made taste better interview"The name actually was a mistake. The name was...I was spelling my name in one of the raps that I did for DJ Clue. I was like FA BO LO US, and I was saying Fabolous like to rhyme with Vocabulous, just wordplay stuff. And I think he took that as my name. So he started spinning it around like I got this kid, Fabolous...I'm about to sign this artist, Fabolous. And it just spread as that was my name. And the crazy thing is that I really didn't have like...I had a nickname in my neighborhood. I had my first initial which I used to use while I was rapping, but my first initial is J, and there was of course, a million other J's. And I never really saw that could be my actual name."

It was a mistake, but it worked. I would say apart from his obvious skills on the mic, him spelling his name on songs got him really popular.



You can watch the full interview below...he talks about how he got his name around the 27 minute mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment