Sauce Money Talks about Writing Puff Daddy's 'I'll Be Missing You' Hit Song

He was Puff Daddy, then he went on to be known as P Diddy, but I think he is back to being called Puff Daddy now...or just Puff. He started as an intern at Uptown Records, with Andre Harrell. He founded Bad Boy Records in 1993 when he got fired from Uptown Records by Harrell. His first artists were Craig Mack and Biggie. At some point, he started rapping, using ghost writers. His biggest hit till date was written by Sauce Money, a rapper from Marcy, New York that was bubbling in the underground back in the mid 90s. The name of that song is I'll Be Missing You, a tribute to Biggie, and it featured Faith Evans (Biggie's widow), and R&B group, 112...released in 1997.


In a recent interview on VLAD TV, Sauce Money talked about how he came about writing one of the biggest songs in rap history. Read his words on this below...




"I think Jay (Z) was originally supposed to write Missing You. But I think, you know, just because of how the relationship him and Big had, I guess he couldn't bring himself to do or whatever. So, he...you know, he introduced me to Puff and that's how I wound up writing Missing You...Me and Puff sat down and we talked about you know some of the things he might want to say or whatever, you know. I took whatever he thought about and then I added you know whatever else I thought would be appropriate."


And the song became a mega hit. Bravo! I remember hearing that song for the first time on the radio back in high school and almost breaking down...It was a really touching song for when it came out; just two months after Biggie died. It was like a national anthem, everybody knew the lyrics. It went on to become the first rap song to make it to number one on the Billboard hot 100 songs chart and it stayed at the top for 11 weeks; for a rap song, that was unheard of at the time. It has sold 8 million copies to date, and won a grammy award in 1998 for best rap performance by a duo or a group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment