DMX Speaks on How he Stays True to Himself

DMX might have his ups and downs, bad finances, drug related issues and all, but I still consider him one of the greatest rappers in Hip Hop history. During a recent radio interview on a New York radio station, he was asked by the interviewer about the challenges he faces being an older rapper. And he took time out to explain how he has been able to stay true to himself in the ever changing world of Hip Hop music.






 "I don't watch any videos (hip hop videos) cos I don't want to be subliminally influenced...I don't get caught up in like, you know once they start doing...off the the deep end with their slangs, with their dressing and everything, it's like 'I ain't really going to be mad at you for doing it, but I'm not gonna do that.' You know what I mean? So...I stay in my lane. I do what I know how to do, how I know how to do it. We stop at the gas station, and I blaize a 16 in like 15 minutes." (The Breakfast Club Interview)






I am a big fan and I still listen his early works (especially my favorite of his, And Then There Was X- 1999), and I continue to wish him all the best. This man gave so much of himself to Hip Hop. Still the only rapper to have his first five albums go straight to number ONE on Billboard the week they were released. Still one of a very few select group of rappers to release two highly successful albums in one year (It's Dark and Hell Is Hot, and Flesh Of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood- 1998); both albums went at least triple platinum. You have to give respect when respect is due. I respect this man.



Watch the full interview below.

No comments:

Post a Comment