The LOX Talk Side Business Outside Rap

The rap super group, The LOX got on the Funk Master Flex show recently and voiced out on the business side of their lives. The group, which comprises Jadakiss, Sheek Louch and Styles P have been in the rap game since 1996. Although they have not been big sellers all the while, they have managed to stay relevant in the game for so long off of their lyrical abilities alone. It is just of recent that they have started venturing into other business; like the book Styles P released last year- Mr Invicible. Read more below-

“I just want to expand my horizons as far as my artistry,” Styles P told Funkmaster Flex. “To tell you the truth, I wanted to write a movie and books. But if I’d have written the book first they would’ve been like, ‘Ghetto rapper writing a movie,’ and it would’ve been the same old same old without me showing my intellect as much.” (styles p)

Styles said his book Invincible was essentially a set up to get into movies, and it lines up with his other diversified interests such as his Bronx-based bar, Juices For Life. Fellow LOX member Jadakiss said he may join Styles P in the beverage business, and he encouraged aspiring emcees and producers to similarly expand their business profiles.




“A lot of kids grow up and want to be rappers and producers and just be famous and be on TV,” Jadakiss added. “But the object is to use it as a stepping-stone and get that outside money. I’m thinking of doing my own coffee. My pops got his own coffee company, and I could just be the first rapper to have his own coffee. Coffee is big right now, and if I come with my own blend it might be out of here.”

This is one thing i am always thinking about; what do rappers do to get money apart from the money they get from their music? Apart from royalty checks, and shows, there has to be another side hustle you are into. I don't think any rapper should depend only on album sale money and show money to live, because that kind of money can slow up at anytime...except you are Eminem, who still makes hundreds of thousands from music he made 10 years ago. But even Eminem would need a side hustle. I know Jada has always boasted about his whole-sell Weed business, but that is still not big enough or reliable enough. I wish them all the best in what ever businesses they want to get into.

No comments:

Post a Comment