Listen to Nas

Listen to Nas


I remember when Nas got back from his Distant Relatives tour with Damian Marley a couple of months ago, he said he was going to face his 10th studio album squarely, and get it out as soon as possible; a lot of people thought it was an empty promise. Of course the album is not complete, but this single is a testimony that he is really working.

But, even though it is cool that he has a single out from the album, I got my reservations concerning it. I think there is something missing. I don’t think it can be labeled an official single to an album. The track is just rap all through, no hook or chorus. He delivered well on it, with a fast flow that he uses once in a while- like the type he used for the Hero song. But, I think it can just be classified as a teaser, and not a main single

I remember when I was waiting for his last album to drop (Untitled, 2008), then all over a sudden I heard “Be a Nigger too” on radio one day and I was blown away; this track does not have that effect on me. I like it, but it really doesn’t give me goose bumps. Maybe I will really like it with time, but right now, I think it is just aight. I hope he has surprises on the actual album. And really, It wasn’t that he didn’t put the fire in this song, but there were some lines he spat that I didn’t even know what he said, or I heard what he said but it wasn’t heavy enough. He did spit some hot lines though…let me let you in on some of them.

“I’m skinny, but too big for a Bently/you’re your car; what can represent me”

Basically, he is just saying he is too big for a Bentley, not in size, but in status. I kind of like when Nas flosses, because he rarely does it. I watched this VH1 documentary of him on youtube recently and was surprised to see the house he lived in in the 90s. When I showed the video to my friend, he asked how many families live in it. The mansion looked like it had 30 rooms.

Back to my analysis- He fast raps through the whole song, so you might miss some lines if you don’t put your ears down, but I would let you in on the lines that caught my attention.

“Your flow’s cheap like limousine liquor/I’m no fake rap CD listener/sit back and roll a mean switcher/for my niggas, tell these clowns to make room for the king, nigga

2 comments:

  1. I think Nas is always creative and takes his time when creating studio albums. That's d true sign of a thorough bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, that's true. He is very creative, and I hope he has a track on d new album where he tells a story like d last track on d I Am album, Undying Love.

    ReplyDelete