Bad Meets Evil- Hell: The Sequel- Album Review

This EP/Album shows how fantastic Eminen and Royce Da 5’9 can be when they work together. The intro, “welcome to hell” is just as the title implies; Fire!!! The next track, which is the official first single of the album, “fast lane” is a cool track with knocking beat. I am sure the track can be played in the club if the DJ blends it well.

Check out some lines from eminem on the "wellcome to hell" track

There's a switch, I flip, emotions cut off
So cold I done froze my butt off
And this ain't even the tip of the iceberg yet
It's like squirtin a squirt gun in the ocean, fuck off
Other words I ain't put a dent in the can
compared to the damage I've yet to do
As long as you still have feelings to hurt
I'll be around as long as you let me get to you
Long as I got two balls to palm
I'll be the bomb, you just a false alarm

 
Also, below is the end of em's verse, off the same song, entering Royce's verse-

eminem
Mental capacity unmatched, it has to be
stopped but it can't be, but man I can't just keep
doin 'em like that or no one'll rap with me (yeah)
Except one, you asked who is it?

Royce
Guess who just came through the blast, you bitches
With the ratchet, the Book of Mathew
A book of matches lightin, I'm under white linen
You 'bout to have to admit it
They pass you the mic, asked you to spit it
 

 

After the second track, the album slips to a lower notch with the Re-Union track. After the first two tracks, you would have been used to the lyrical murder that Eminem and Royce bring, and you might not really feel the third track, which is a narrative song. It takes Eminem back to relapse Eminem, or Slim Shady Eminem…the playing around Eminem.

Above the law, the 4th track is another track where the duo gets to spazz-out, but the album loses its steam after that again. Most of the tracks on the album, apart from the last track that features Slaughterhouse, is basically just Eminem and Royce going back to back, like the style popularized by Jadakiss and Styles P. Some tracks are just two verses, Eminem and Royce delivering 32 bars each; and some are three verses, and they would each take one verse, and go back to back on the 3rd one.

But they are some tracks, like the intro, “welcome to hell”, which is one of the best tracks on the album, where they broke the rules. After Eminem dropped his 32bars at the beginning, and Royce comes in, the rest cannot be calculated; you would have 16 bars from Royce here, then Eminem would come with 8 bars, then Royce would come with 4 bars, and it went on like that.

There is a very impressive part of royce's verse on the "Above the Law" track

I stay violent, y'all go the peace route
You got a mouth like Kanye, I'll knock your whole bottom row of teeth out
No disrespect to Mr. West, shit I'm just nice with mine
And this just wrap 'em, just like Ricky Hatton, I just like the line
These weak rappers wanna set us up, they never tough
They ask me for a hook I tell 'em left to right, head or GUT!
What y'all messin with is
A nigga that'll leave you FUBAR, Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition
Y'all are rock stars, I'm the opposite
I could just, throw a rock and hit a star, for the FUCK of it!
Partner you not hard, I'll body ya hot bars
Beef has left you prayin, right? Like Allahu Akbar
Let's go, when I leave y'all shot
You ain't gon' be on your metro in a bad area, that car drop
 

The fun thing about the album is that Royce was able to hold his own with Eminem; something that is not very common, considering all the rappers that Eminem has worked with. He even murders Eminem on the “Above the Law” track. And he has the best verse on the last track, which features slaughter house, loud noises. The song with Bruno Mars, which I am sure would be the next single, is the best song on the album. If not for the album feelers like “A Kiss”, and “I Am on Everything”, this would have been a masterpiece. I would give it 7.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment