The New Legends of Rap Are Humble

When I say the new legends of rap, I don't mean 'new' like the Bobby Shmurda's, and the Chief Keef's. I am talking of the Drake's, the Kendrick Lamar's, the J Cole's, the Big Sean's, the Wale's, the Big Krit's, and the A$AP Rocky's; these are the new legends of rap as far as I am concerned. And I think they are pretty humble. I was just watching an A$AP Rocky interview, and I was surprised how humble dude was...he doesn't even have a car. And to think of the fact that his parents named him Rakim cos when he was born in 1988, Rakim was one of the hottest rapers on the scene...this is just incredible; he was meant to be a rapper.









You also have guys like Drake paying homage to Mack Dre, and Wu Tang Clan when they are are the biggest acts on the planet, and don't have to do that. Or, J Cole, having a song saying Nas wrote the Bible of Hip Hop when he is signed to Jay Z. Most of the rappers this young legends are giving props to are not the richest of the rich, so it is not about the money, but about the art. If it was about the money. someone like A$AP Rocky wont be excited about doing a song with Mos Def, or Wiz Khalifa wont get hyped about Nas's 2004 album (Streets Disciple), and then gets him on a collab; it is the love of the art that can make you do that.





I think this is missing with the newer rappers on the scene. They don't know anything about Hip Hop history; all they care about is gaining popularity and getting rich off of Hip Hop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment