Macklemore Tackles Grammy Win Over Kendrick Lamar

Everyone is still talking about the fact that Kendrick Lamar should have won 'Best Rap Album' award at the just concluded Grammy Awards. We all know Macklemore won because he is more popular and commercially successful, and that is basically what the people (Grammy organizers) that really don't know much about Hip Hop look out for. They just look out for who achieved the most in the set period (in 2013), and they vote for him. In a recent interview on Hot 97 radio interview, Macklemore broke down why he won over Kednrick.





“In terms of the people that are voting on those ballots, filling out those bubbles, we have an unfair advantage due to race, due to the fact we had huge radio success, due to the fact that our name was circulating more in a pocket in the industry of people filling out that ballot. This is not like a Rap Radar poll, like a 2DopeBoyz poll. This is not a Hot 97 poll. This is the Grammys. This is many different types of people. All different age groups filling out a ballot where they might not necessarily know the genre. What makes it awkward for me is the fact you never want to be the person that is robbing somebody else. I think if you look at what the Grammys are, I think that what people don’t understand is what the Grammys are a bunch of people that are on the Grammy committee or in the industry [that get] a ballot. I got a ballot this year. Now, as I’m filling out the ballot, I’m realizing I don’t know much outside of the genre of Hip Hop in terms of who should get what award. So I’m like, ‘I don’t really know about singer-songwriter or country music or whatever,' but people are filling out bubbles of genres that they don’t know about. And that’s the process of it.”



He said it all...I can't add anything more to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment