DMC Says "Jay-Z and Lil Wayne Ain't Hot"

In case you don't know him, D.M.C is one third of the legendary rap group, Run-D.M.C, who where one of the hottest Hip Hop groups in the 80s. The group comprised of Run, D.M.C and the late Jam Master Jay. Okay, I needed to get that out there before I say...in a recent interview, D.M.C said Jay Z and Lil Wayne ain't hot...






Lil Wayne and Jay-Z ain’t hot, it’s just they’re programmed so many times people are brainwashed. It was inevitable that Hip Hop became commercialized but along the way our power got taken away. Now you got the same 12 records on radio being played over and over again.We wanted to change the world, taking responsibility for our actions. Now everything that’s negative in stupid ass America is celebrated.” (allhiphop.com)







Hmm! What can I say. Although a lot of people are going to look at this like 'a washed up rapper hating on the hot rappers of today,' i don't totally look at it that way...he has a point. I think Jay-Z and Lil Wayne have paid their dues, cos they were very hot at some point. I mean, they were spitting fire at some point, but right now, I do agree that they are coasting...they are relying on their name to carry them. They release good material, and people are quick to label them classic material. It's all a bandwagon thing right now in the world generally, and not just in the world of hip hop or music. i guess it's social media; everyone wants to seem cool and want to be among the "cool gang." So, I get where D.M.C is coming from.





It is funny to me when rappers try to sound all conscious and deep and moral in interviews, but in their songs and music videos they are the opposite. It is all about money, sex, drugs and alcohol right now. I ain't a prude, I just think things should be balanced out. But, I guess those guys are just making music the big execs want them to make...so, they are more or else slaves to the Record Labels. Of cos I ain't going to the club wanting to hear some Lupe Fiasco music; I would rather bump to some 2 Chainz or Pitbull. I think every type of music has its place. When I want to listen to some creatively created, intelligently woven music, then I wanna hear some J.Cole, or Kendrick Lamar, or Nas. But, I guess things are getting better. I mean, the last 10 months or so have been balanced in Hip Hop. Kendrick Lamar and J.Cole having the most successful rap albums in the last couple of months shows things are getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment