J.Cole Speaks On Nas's Reaction to 'Let Nas Down' Track

Although J.Cole's album dropped yesterday, it leaked a week ago, so people have gotten a good feel of it. There is a track on there about Nas ('Let Nas Down') that got people talking. J.Cole narrated a story about how Nas reacted negatively to his 2011 track, Work Out. The song was a radio friendly song that Cole had to make to get his label to give him a release date. Nas thought it was to pop for a rapper he thought was carrying on the tradition.









"I played him the song, gave him my headphones. I was trying to hear what part of the song he was on because he was behind me. And then, like a minute into the song he was like, 'Wooo,' beatin' my chair, you know what I mean, bangin' my chair and then, just overall, he was wowed. The look on his face was like, honored that I would make that and then also highly impressed. That was a huge moment for me." (BET)








Below is the first verse from the song- 

[Chorus]
Yeah, long live the idols, may they never be your rivals
Pac was like Jesus, Nas wrote the Bible
Now what you're 'bout to hear's a tale of glory and sin
No I.D. my mentor now let the story begin

[Verse 1]
I used to print out Nas raps and tape 'em up on my wall
My niggas thought they was words, but it was pictures I saw
And since I wanted to draw, I used to read 'em in awe
Then he dropped Stillmatic, rocked the cleanest Velour
Fast forward, who'da thought that I would meet him on tour?
I'm earnin' stripes now nigga, got Adidas galore
Backstage I shook his hand, let him know that he's the man
When he said he was a fan it was too hard to understand
No time to soak up the moment though, cause I was in a jam
Hov askin' where's the record that the radio could play
And I was strikin' out for months, 9th inning feeling fear
Jeter under pressure, made the biggest hit of my career
But at first, that wasn't clear, niggas had no idea
Dion called me when it dropped, sounded sad but sincere
Told me Nas heard your single and he hate that shit
Said you the one, yo why you make that shit?
I can't believe I let Nas down
Damn, my heart sunk to my stomach, I can't believe I let Nas down
I got defensive on the phone, resentment was in my tone, fuck it

No comments:

Post a Comment