Game Says He Isn't Trying To Be The Best Anymore



California rapper, Game came forward in a recent interview to share some advise that he got from Nas, and how it has affected his perception on being the best in the rap game. Read what he had to say below-

"I’m not [the best]. I stopped wishing to be the best, I stopped trying to be the best, because the best is what you make it," he said. "I had a conversation with Nas maybe six months ago, and he used to tell me that after Illmatic, people was calling him the illest. After that, after Illmatic dropped, he ust wanted to be the King of Hip Hop, he wanted to be number one. But as he got older and got closer to 30, he realized he didn’t want to be the best no more. He just was comfortable in his own skin and just doing him. Hip Hop was changing and he didn’t per se like the way it was going. So he could have changed and went with it, or he could have just did him and he chose to do him."

 "I felt the same way he did and I shared those sentiments. I don’t want to be the best, I’m cool with being me. I got three platinum albums, all number one in the week they dropped, they debuted. This one’s going to be number one, I guarantee it, the week that it drops. Right now, I’m just working on my legacy. I don’t want to be number one. Everybody else can have that."

I think i understand what he is talking about- if you are trying to be the best, you would always be trying, and you would always be concerned about what is hot, who is hot and try to fit into that or try to beat it. But, if on the other hand, you get comfortable in your own skin, and just do you, and be the best "YOU" you can be, then the ball might just fall in your court.

Analysing it from nas's point of view- everybody, in the last 10-15 years has criticized Nas on his beat selection, style of music, and this and that. Half of those people are no longer in the game, and the remaining people are strugling to stay in the game. Nas spat his first verse on Live At Barbecue 20 years ago, and he is still mentioned amongst the best rappers of this times...what can you say about that?

I think Game got the right advise, and he should really try and follow it. I don't think he got that tip before he started working on his R.E.D album, because that contradicts what he is saying. He has more than 10 features on that album, and it is obvious he is not doing him, but trying to please everybody...trying to get the fans of those people to buy his album. I wished he would have kept the guest appearances on that album to the barest minimum, cos i really wanted to hear Game, and not a bunch of other rappers.


No comments:

Post a Comment