LL Cool J Sends Indirect Shots Jay-Z's Way

Jay-Z officially dropped his 12th album, Magna Carta Holy Grail last week Tuesday (July 9th), but Samsung Mobile let some fans get it a couple of days before that. Jay sold a million digital copies to Samsung, who bought it with the intention of giving it out to Jay-Z fans who used some specific Samsung Mobile phones (Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, an Note 2). So, automatically, Jay went platinum before his album even dropped. Some rappers weren't too happy with this move, and LL Cool J is one of them. Check out LL's indirect message to Jay-Z during his recent interview with Revolt TV-








"I think that for me as an artist, I still want to be able to touch the people individually. It still matters to me that people individually went out and bought my record. Although I do think a million records sold is a million records sold, there’s no question about that. You can’t argue with math. It is what it is and that’s truth. For me, I like to touch the people directly. I like to know that a million people went out and bought my album. Not that I sold a million records to a company. That’s different…But that being said, I think it’s definitely the right move for the RIAA. I agree with that move. It’s not anything different. I mean, if Wal-Mart buys a million records, they bought it. I mean the difference is…If I go sell five million records to Bill Gates or if I sell 10 million records to Bill Gates, I guess I’m diamond. I may not touch 10 million people, but I’m diamond. Numbers are numbers, but I think that in the numbers is truth. But in terms of touching the people it’s a little different.”






This is no surprise...Jay-Z and LL Cool J have always had tension; from back in the 90s, to when Jay was made the President of Def Jam Records in 2005. LL believed he was the best man for the job as he helped build the label (he was the first rapper signed to the label in 1984). Anyway, I get what LL is trying to say, but Jay has always been consistent with album sales, so it shouldn't be a big deal, cos Jay would still sell a million copies regardless. Jay-Z has never been the type to sell incredible astronomical numbers with his albums, with he has always been consistent with that 1.5-3 million copies bracket...all through his career.

No comments:

Post a Comment